Monday, March 1, 2010

Games and stuff

So I've decided to take a break from mmo's for a bit. My play time is limited and I'm very frustrated with the 10% fun, 90% work thing that is so fundamental to mmo design.

I have a huge pile of single player games that I've never finished so I decided to make a list of them and play through them. Here's my list as it exists at this moment. I still need to dig out my big box of games from the closet so I can make my complete list. You might notice that almost every game in this list was released after November 2004. That must be a coincidence . . .


Edited to add:


I started this weekend playing Bioshock.

I bought it the day it came out but, at the time, I had a wide screen monitor and the developer decided to deal with widescreen by cropping the top and bottom of the image rather than adding to the sides. This resulted in an extremely narrow field of view which gave me incredible motion sickness. I bought the game, got home and installed it, played it for about 30 minutes, turned my computer off, took 2 tylenols, laid down and spent the next 2 hours trying not to throw up.

I have a non-widescreen monitor now so I've been able to play the game without any negative side effects. I think I am about an hour from the end of the game at this point. It's *very* short, maybe 15 hours all told. The game is beautiful and is fun to play. It's pretty much Deus Ex for dummies. Although the characters, of which there are far fewer than Deus Ex, seem generally much more fully developed.

I'll probably finish Bioshock this evening after dinner. Then I'm going to play Oblivion.

I also bought Oblivion on the day it came out. I played it like a fiend for about a week. I had something like 60 hours of play on my character when the game crashed as I was zoning out of a city. The crash corrupted my save game. I'd been playing for about 8 hours at this point and I hadn't saved. When I discovered that I would have to replay the last 8 hours of the game, I deleted the corrupted saves and uninstalled the game. I haven't even been able to bring myself to look at it until recently. It came out in March 2006!

Oblivion should keep me busy for 2 or 3 weeks I figure. Then I'll head back to Dragon Age which I'd stopped playing because it got to the point where I had to micromanage my party so much that I felt like I was working rather than playing. I think I might try making a new character that's almost entirely focused on healing and I'll just stand in the background and heal the party. I'll have to do some research on that one before I restart. That could suck if there's a bunch of solo stuff later in the game.

As I write this, I'm listening to the sound track for Vanguard. The music for that game is fantastic. It's sad that single player games tend to have very utilitarian music while mmo's tend to have much more fully developed themes. There are some notable exceptions however, Arcanum has an amazing soundtrack written by Ben Houge and you can find links to download it here.


--Abe

No comments:

Post a Comment