Thursday, January 28, 2010

Happy Birthday Rijl!

I don't think she reads this, but happy birthday anyways! I drew this pic over the last few nights. The original idea was not for a card for Rijl, but when I started drawing it, I thought it would be a great card to give to her on Friday when I see her for dinner with her family. We will head up right after I get home from work. We have been friends since I was born, so we have quite a bit of history. I wish we could live in the same city at some point, but that is not looking likely. I don't want to get all gushy, so I will leave it at that.

Anyways, this pic is inspired by Edward Gorey. I am reading his book Amphigorey Again. I am very tempted to buy the book. Perhaps I can find an inexpensive one online. I got this copy from the library and it is due this weekend. I looked at the price on the cover--$35! (on sale at Amazon for $23...) It is pretty big and hard cover. But it has a TON of great pics by him in there. Great study of his work. This picture was a ton of fun to draw. Like Zen drawing. All those little lines. The skirt was particularly fun and I think her legs turned out well. But I am not so good at hands. I just need practice.

You know, I would like to go back to school for illustration, but it is so expensive, and I can learn a lot on my own. I will just have to work hard on my own and practice a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment