Friday, January 22, 2010

Boxing match


First, I'll start you off with this comic. This is the boxer comic I have been talking about. Hope you like it.

I have been listening to Imelda May a lot lately, and the more I listen to it, the more I like it. Some of the songs even give me goose bumps. My favorites are Johnny's Got A Boom Boom and Smotherin' Me. When I first heard it, Johnny's Got a Boom Boom sounded like a duet between her and the bass. Now that I am understanding the lyrics more and more, it definitely is a duet between the two. With GREAT lyrics. And Smotherin' Me is so bluesy you can taste it. It is upbeat blues, but still definitely blues. 12-bar blues, apparently. Abe says that every time we hear it anyways. But the CD didn't come with the lyrics printed out, so most of the time I have no idea what she is saying. I have figured out more now than the first time I heard it, but probably less than half. I may have found the lyrics online, but they are not official, so they could be wrong.

On the cleaning front, I got filing boxes and it is awesome. I have a box for my art and a box for other paper stuff, which turns out I have a lot: stories, knitting patterns, etc. So I am going around the apartment grabbing my random piles of papers and organizing them in the boxes. It is going to be really nice to have them all organized and safe. I have a little blue folder to use for drawing projects that are in process, so it will be kept with my tackle box of inking supplies and my drawing board. It is a pretty nice set up I have going on. It is close enough to the TV that I can listen to that (as opposed to the radio since my radio gets terrible reception) and I can turn to look when necessary.

I also cleaned up some boxes. Combined two into one of stuff I am saving for when I have a real office that I can decorate however I want (in a house). When we can, we will have an office separate from our desktop computers, which are for gaming, really. I hope to have a Mac to work on my graphics with by then. One of the small ones that are just a monitor. One of the two boxes was my old musty dress-up clothes. And some dog clothes I made for Patience, my Whippet, when I was in grade school.

On the knitting front,I am more than half done with one of Abe's brown socks. I hope he likes them. He says he does, but we'll see. At least I find knitting with self pattering yarn to be really fun. This one is kind of lame in that the vertical stripes don't line up at all (and it is because of erratic dyeing, not my knitting). Unless it was meant to be stochastic. But Abe loves stochastic, so it doesn't really matter. And you know what? I do love turning a short row heel. I find the method pleasing.

I have also realized that to remain happy and in a good mood, it is very helpful for me to draw every day, which includes inking. So I better get on that. After such a terrible night's sleep on Sunday because of the wind, I was really tired so I just sat on the couch and knit. I didn't realize until last night that it was affecting my mood. I think I just need to take a little time to draw, even if it is just little non-comic stuff in a sketch pad.

-Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment