Thursday, September 10, 2009

Vacation Rules!

Whoops. Been a while. We've even done a lot of things. But Abe started work this week and I am on vacation. So lazy lazy...

So last weekend, we saw District 9. That was a really good movie. It was a different plot than I anticipated based on the previews, but the movie was very good. Abe said it was the best sci-fi movie in a long time. The CGI was great. The aliens were great.
I really don't want to give anything away, so I will just say when the movie was over we sat there for a while letting it all sink in before we got up. Actually, we went to the new movie theater at Northgate...well, south of Northgate in "Thorton Place" where most of the other locations are empty with signs that say "X coming Summer 2009." Looks like they will miss that mark. And a freakin' matinee is $8.50!! Still $2 cheaper than regular, but what a rip off. The theater in Burlington/Mt. Vernon is $6 for a matinee. Speaking of, in 2 weeks, we are going to see "9" at the Mt. Vernon one. I am so excited for that movie.

We also got a china cabinet from my aunt Carol and it is replacing a nasty old bookshelf we had that the back was coming off of and was missing a shelf. We might sand and paint it. I was thinking yellow with blue highlights and a bit of red. Then Tony, my cousin who brought it over, asked if I was painting it black, and that got me thinking. I eventually want a kitchen those colors, but since I don't have them now, I can really paint this any colors I want. And a black china cabinet could be awesome. (I totally just spelled 'could' as 'cood.' Vacation is over soon, but until then, I am not required to use my brain.)

I also knit Abe a hat. I missed his first day of work, but it was ready for the second. He can't wear it anyways because it is too hot. It is the Trilobite Hat from Knitty. I used Malabrigo in Burgundy. Looks great. Looked better, but I had to cut off the ribbing and rework the rib for 25 rows instead of 10. Turns out that is why I can't make a hat that fits Abe. His head is normal size around but an inch taller than most people. Where I think my head may be bigger around than most. Or I just have WAY too much hair.

I also started and have almost finished a painting of ogre Lolita. It is turning out really well. Water color. It is really fun to paint. I think I am learning a lot. This is a more complicated picture than the Blue Lady.

And I started (and have almost finished) Deja Dead by Kathy Reichs, who the TV show Bones is based on. It is actually pretty good. I like her writing style and the story is pretty engaging. They funny part is how much the writing, in particular the opening, sounds like the character Brennan in Bones. The writing style could not be more opposite from Twilight. The grammar and vocabulary assume a much more educated audience. It is a nice change...I guess I have been reading a lot of young adult books, but that is no excuse!

I have also been doing a lot of cross words, but mostly on my vacation, I have read and painted. And a little knitting, but mostly at night. I am working on a pair of fairly plain knee-high socks right now. I am trying to decide if I need to rip back to the increases to make it fit better, but we'll see if I am too lazy.

And also this weekend I scored some good pieces when shopping. I got two shirts for $10 each at torrid: a nice yellow one with a scoop neck and a bright green wrap style. That last one needs a tank top underneath, but it looks great. I love the color. I also got a pair of shoes for $17 at Fred Meyer's. Cute shoes. I can wear them with socks so when it is colder, I can wear some of my hand knit socks. Yeah!

No comments:

Post a Comment