Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Crepes are awesome

So now that Abe is working, I am taking turns cooking dinner. We have a little more money for food, so we get to be a little more creative. A while ago we got quick recipe Weight Watchers book and a delicious recipe for chicken, spinach, and mushroom crepes. So I decided to make that. But it calls for prepared crepes and I couldn't find any so I decided to try to make them. Last night I looked up the recipe for crepes in Joy of Cooking and made the mix. But then in needs to sit for 30 minutes up to 2 days, so I let it sit until today.


Anyways, then today, we made the dinner. Abe made the filling. Here's the mushrooms frying up in the cast iron pan. They turned out perfectly. He followed the recipe...











He had already cooked the chicken the night before while I was making the crepe batter (and the Irish Stew was reheating). So after the mushrooms cooked up, he added the chicken, the lightly cooked spinach, and fat free cream cheese. After tasting it, he said it needed salt (it did).






So while all that was going on, I was making crepes. They were surprisingly easy, though I didn't let the pan heat up enough for the first one, so it was a bit undercooked. This first pic is of the crepe after I flipped it.











This second crepe is before I flipped it.The pan is smaller than it was supposed to be, but I think it turned out better that way.














And here is the final crepe that I totally screwed up. So I finished cooking it and Abe and I split it. Actually quite yummy. The only difference between these savory crepes and the sweet crepes is 1.5 tablespoons of sugar.







And here they are all made up! They were so good, though I am still hungry. Next time, I think 4 each. These were pretty little. The recipe is for a crepe with 3/4 cup of the filling and should make 4 servings. But this seemed about that much filling and it appears there is more than a cup and a half left.







So the crepes were really easy to make. I watched Baking with Julia the other day and did what they did with the shaking the batter all over the pan. Actually that is how I made the bad one. I shook too much and it had already started to set so it flew off. The only problem is a bit too much butter because I think there is a teaspoon of butter to cook every crepe. Next time I want to try olive oil in a spray bottle (which we already have one of those pump sprayers).

In dog news, we have two jerks for certain. They are still randomly fighting. Tonight, Ernie went over to Nisa's bowl while she was still eating and tried to get a toy and of course Nisa went to defend her food. We got them apart pretty quick but Nisa got Ernie pretty bad. I pulled him away from Nisa after Abe had picked her up and he was wincing his eye. I wiped at it and there was a fair amount of blood on the palm of my hand. Yikes. I couldn't see where it was coming from because around his eye is all black and watery and the lighting was awful. So Abe took a look and we salined it and dabbed at it with a napkin. It stopped bleeding pretty quickly. We took them out for a walk and could get a good look at his eye to see what happened because the light was so much better (even though it was totally overcast and trying to rain). Looks like he has a rip in his lower eyelid almost 1/4 of an inch. Yikes. I think he will be okay. Perhaps we will continue putting saline in his eye. Though probably not unless it looks like it needs it. This is the second time he has had an injury on his eyelid.

And in knitting news, I am working on the second Lorna's lace knee-high sock. I also spun up half a Blue Moon thing of fiber. Lovely. Absolutely loverly. I can't decide what to make from it. Perhaps a cowl or something. Anyways, the sock is working out quite well. I have one done and it is pretty nice. I can't wait to wear it this winter. When I am done with the sock, I will knit some yellow fingerless gloves. I found the pattern for the Fingerless Glove group on Ravelry for the September KAL (knit along). Then I will make the Girl Friday sweater!! I am super excited. I plan to use Knit Picks Wool of the Andes in Cobblestone Heather. I also want to get this Tidings of Joy Holiday kit and Corrie Fair Isle Bold Vest Kit. They look like so much fun. I am absolutely dying to get them. The Tidings of Joy Holiday kit is ornaments. That is less than a dollar each! And very redoable.

Edit: Just FYI, but I really tried to format this with the pics and it just refused to work. So much for a good WYSIWYG.

2 comments:

  1. How is it I never found your blog till now? Crazyness. I have a rather good crepe recipe you want me to send it to you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feel free. I would love to try another recipe. I just used the plain one from Joy of Cooking because I am lazy and I love cookbooks. :)

    ReplyDelete