Tuesday, September 22, 2009

My green thumb may have fallen off

So a bit ago, we finally gave Abe's mom back her plants. She had forgotten about them. And we had done a good bit of killing on them. Nothing was quite dead, but nothing was growing well either. We had two plants that were growing well and they were my plants. Here they are.



This first one is in a cute little terracotta pot my friend Rijl gave me for my birthday last year. There was Sindy's desert cactus in it, but we transplanted it when we gave the plants back to Sindy. I had to move it out of another holder because it had gotten so big. I have no idea why it is growing so well. I guess I am using Miracle Grow Moisture Control, but the extra grow stuff is only supposed to last for three months. It has been much longer than that. I put this pot in a bowl because the hole in the bottom is so large the water would just fall right out. I want to knit or crochet a holder for it. This one looks really good hung up.



Here is another plant of the same type. It is not growing quite so abundantly, but still not bad. This one is in an awesome Owl pot I got at Goodwill, I think. This is one of my favorite pots. This one is adorable hung up where you can really see the owl. For some reason, they keep turning whiteish. I am not sure what that means, but when it happened to this one, I moved it down to the table where it could possibly get more light and that seemed to fix it. But now it has happened to the other one, which I think you can see a little.



And then there was my ill-fated attempt with catnip. I killed this off, but then when I thought all was lost (the plant was entirely dead, so I pulled it out), a couple of little sprouts came up. So I watered those and they have grown into this. The first two have fallen over and a third one has sprouted. I can't wait to watch this grow. I don't know what will happen since they keep falling over. The cat liked it when we first got it and ate it right off the plant a couple times, but she went a little overboard and we had to hide it from her. She is leaving it alone now.



When we went to see 9, mom gave me some plants. This one is the oregano. I don't use oregano that often, but perhaps I will try some now that I have this fresh stuff. I will for sure wait for it to grow a bit, take hold, before I use any. This one looks kind of straggly, but mom said that is how oregano looks. This is actually planted in an ugly little pot I made in high school. I made a number of things in high school that I still have, like this from art class and a bench from wood working. I think it might be my least favorite thing I ever made in those classes. I guess there is also this ugly little napkin holder that I did a terrible, Terrible job on.



And here is some mint. I asked mom to bring me some mint so I might be able to try some fresh mint tea. Teeny tiny little thing that I can't wait to watch it grow. This is in a little pot that I got a cactus in for my birthday in high school. It took a while, but I eventually killed that. It melted. I let it go too long without water and then gave it too much water. But the pot itself is pretty adorable. I don't know if I will like it completely fresh, but perhaps I can dry it and save it for later.


Note that this is an older post that I forgot to publish. I got excited with other things, like the Phat Fiber stuff (which is waiting for my return at my aunt's where I forgot it). I have some nifty stuff to post about including MORE yarn stuff. From Knit Picks and the Blue Moon.

No comments:

Post a Comment