Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Games and such

I've been giving the free-to-play mmo Runes of Magic a bit of a try for the last week. I'm thinking I'll write up a detailed review in a week or two but in the mean time some quick and dirty thoughts follow.

The game is definitely higher quality than the other f2p games I've tried. The client downloaded very quickly even though its 3.4 gigs. It runs pretty well too. Although I did see a lot of people in the newbie area complaining about lag, I experienced none myself. I made a
mage and the early abilities seem clearly distinguished, have nice effects and an interesting upgrade path.

I'm burned out on
EQ2 at the moment. It's both the game and the community actually. I'm at a point with my characters where I can't progress them without doing group content and I've spent months trying to get groups going for the places I need to go without luck. The community itself is just abysmal these days. 1-9 is like an open sewer of idiocy, filth, arguments and snotty sniping. And since they've made it take just a few weeks of playing to get to the level cap the over-all quality of players has significantly declined.

So, me and Angela cancelled our accounts.

She's been playing
The Sims 3 and I've been playing Neverwinter Nights 2. Last time I played NWN2 I got about 20 hours in to it and got bored. I was playing a Paladin which is the class I've played in every D&D game I've ever played. This time I made a Warlock and I'm having a blast. The game is more of a challenge. I'm having to use and control my party members a lot more. I giggle every time my character sets some poor thug on fire.

The story is kind of slow and the game is *really* lacking in the type of humor I expect from a game made by people that worked on
Fallout. But, so far anyway, the party combat is keeping me interested.

I'm still looking for a job every day without luck. It's gotten to the point that it's like some sort of sick joke. I busy myself with writing, drawing comics, cleaning the house and researching possible means of self employment. I've never wanted to run my own business but it's looking more and more like that is going to be my only choice.


--Abe

No comments:

Post a Comment