Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The Crows! The Crows!

So a while ago we switched the room that was our bedroom from the north side to the south side. Now there are frickin' crows. There is some idiot crow that sits outside our apartment and won't shut up for hours! He is actually out there right now as I am writing this. It is annoying at anytime, but at 6 in the morning on the weekends. Even 5:30 on the weekday mornings. Closing the window and covering my head with a pillow only dulls the screeching noise.

So today is Abe's half birthday. Happy half birthday. We went to the restaurant next door, Luisa's. I, of course, had chicken sopes. He has a chorizo burrito. My favorite thing about him is that I have turned him into a star trek fan. (just kidding, though it is awesome). Yesterday or the day before we watched an episode where the question of Data's humanity was explored and when it finished Abe told me he finally realized why Data was such a favorite character of mine. He had only seen a few of the later episodes where he was such an established character that he wasn't explained and didn't see the appeal. Abe says he is an intriguing (ha!) character and ... Well, maybe he will explain it later.

So this weekend we dyed my hair black. I love it. It looks awesome. My hair is a little dry though. As soon as I can afford it, I will go to a salon to get it done for real. But this is the black so black it shines blue. Which is perfect. Abe says it makes my eyes stand out. It worked really well on the ends but the top that hasn't already been dyed and processed didn't take it so well. So we will try again this weekend. The top on the right is still brown! It felt thoroughly saturated, but whatever.

So I have watched a few movies. There was Popeye and M.A.S.H., which I didn't enjoy. Both were by Robert Altman it appears. Blegh. Mash was weird. It was like it wanted to be a dark comedy but didn't have the courage. And Popeye was crazy. Shelley Duvall was Olive Oyle. She was pretty good. She sang that song "He needs me" so awesome. She did the neck perfectly. And that is all the good stuff about the movie. It was too true to the cartoon. People wore the shoes with the bubble on the toe. And Olive Oyle did that weird twirly, I am falling down thing. Looks dumb in live action. And Robin Williams with the stupid rubber forearms looked like an idiot. The songs were weird. Everyone talked weird and acted weird. Wore weird clothes. Actually, the guy who played Garak's father in DS9 (Paul Dooley) played the guy who says "I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today" (Wimpy). That was funny.

I also watched The Postman on Instant movies from Netflix. That was fun. LONG but fun. I like those post-apocalyptic movies.

So Abe has a graphic novel from the War Hammer series. I tried reading it, but I just can't get into it. The story is flat and the characters boring. On the other hand, I read Elephantmen, and it was awesome. Abe got it at ComiCon. I liked it a lot more than him. I have also just finished the first in the Fables series. I am so excited to read the next one. It is a fun series. I am really enjoying it.

So I have started working on a story for a graphic novel that is based on super heroes. The story has two layers, one story told within another. Really it is one story just folded up on itself. I think it will be a good one. I like it a lot. I hope I can do it. I am really unsure how far to produce it. Should I just pencil out the whole thing or should I do the inking, color, and speech?
I also drew a picture of a mermaid. I am thinking I will make a coloring book of some ink drawings, but first I have to make some drawings. It won't be one of those cutesy ones with no detail. I will include detail and maybe some shading. Maybe not. Then I can compile 15-30 pictures to make a coloring book. I have a few themes in mind. Good and Evil Mythical Creatures, Robots, Aliens, Weird Creatures (just a bunch of creatures that I make up, like the dude).

So right now, I am working on finishing the Fraggle Squiggle sock from the last Socks that Rock club. This is not my favorite. I enjoyed the first sock, but this second one is dragging. I have already turned the heel, but it seems like the foot is never getting longer no matter how much I knit. I mean Each sock is about 30 repeats of the same 4 rows. Boring.

I have also made some adorable Tawashi. Well, one adorable Tawashi and a normal one. The first one was how I learned the magic crochet cast on. Awesome. I mentioned I was going to the Hilltop yarn store in Queen Anne to learn about Tawashi, the little Japanese scrubbers. They are super fun to crochet. As a reward for dying my hair on Friday, I crocheted him a little elephant scrubber. It is pretty dang cute. I gotta get a picture of it. Totally awesome. So much fun. The instructions are a challenge to read because I just have to make out the chart because the words are all in Japanese. But I really enjoy the challenge. Though it is so cute that if this is a good representation of Japan, I really want to learn Japanese. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment