Thursday, May 28, 2009

guilty pleasure

Last night was a night of guilty pleasure for me. Yeah, you heard me. The guilty pleasure of...reality TV. Normally I can't stand it, but I have two shows that I can't help but love. So You Think You Can Dance (horrible name, horrible opening music, but awesome dancing - and no I don't vote) and America's Next Top Model.

For SYTYCD, it can be pretty funny to watch the really bad people, but what I really like is for the most part, the judges curb any rude remarks they may want to make. Sometimes they even suggest a specific dance that the person should try. And the real dancers (and some of the bad ones) you can just tell love every second they spend dancing. Some of them are really amazing. I loved the guy who danced to Ride of the Valkyries at the end of the summer season premiere.
ANTM is more of a guilty pleasure because it is so bad. I mean, everyone who works on it looks like they love what they are doing, but some of those people are just SO into themselves. I mean, that is partly because for their job they have to be. And Tyra truly seems to love what she does and really wants to spread the joy. That is what I like about it. What I love about it is the pictures. I love seeing the awesome pictures these people come up with. This last season (12?) my favorite was Celia and then Allison. I think Allison should have won, not Teyahna, whose name I couldn't remember until I saw it spelled. And I probably misspelled it here too.
That is about it though. Most other reality shows are too depressing. John and Kate plus 8. Was funny, but now it is just sad because of all the rift rumors. I watched a bit of the premiere of Hitched or Ditched last night, and it was awful. A friend signed the couple up and it turned out that the whole family and friends on both sides thought they should split up. Well, at least when I watched it they did. It could have been a test and at the end everyone said, "Just kidding!" Which would be just as lame. They had only been dating for 4 years (Abe and I have been together 5.5 years) and they had already been engaged and broken it. I think...well, I have a lot of thoughts about marriage right now, especially with everything going on with the law makers. I really don't understand what the problem is without everyone being really hypocritical. Which I guess could be the case.

Anyways... This Sunday the Queen Anne Hilltop Yarn is having an event for Tawashi which are "adorable little knit or crochet scrubbers for your household, shaped for cleaning anything from pots, to bikes, to Venetian blinds." They are Japanese and the shop has a ton of books on these little scrubbers. They also have Hamanaka's Bonny yarn which is an antibacterial acrylic fiber that absorbs oil so you need little to no soap for cleaning. At the shop on Sunday they are going to teach, for free, how to read the charts for crochet in the Japanese books. That is why Japanese knitting books are so cool because you don't have to know Japanese to use the pattern, you just have to be able to follow the chart. So Abe is going to take me on Sunday so I can get yarn and books. I already have the crochet hook. I see Xmas gifts...

Also, I might take this figure drawing class from Nils Osmar. That is who Abe and I took the cartooning class from and that was fun. I need to practice drawing people and this class is only $100 for 4 nearly 2 hour meetings. The structure I think will force me to practice. I always come home from moms with every intention of continuing to paint and then I never do.

No comments:

Post a Comment